GIZ Office Kazakhstan would like to announce a new vacant position in the capacity of Policy Impact Assessment expert in the Project „Energy and Resource Efficiency as contribution to Green Economy in Kazakhstan and Central Asia“.
Kazakhstan's growing economy is characterized by high consumption of fossil energy and natural resources. The Kazakh Green Economy (GE) strategy therefore includes fields of action and priorities for low-emission economic development. Kazakhstan's National Determined Contributions (NDCs) provides for a reduction of GHG emissions from 15% (unconditioned) to 25% (conditional) by 2030 (compared to 1990). This is to be achieved using energy-efficient technologies and renewable energy.
The aim of the project is to improve the institutional and technical capacities for implementing the Green Economy Strategy and thus also the NDCs, combined with positive effects on Central Asia. Within the framework of three work packages: (1) policy design, (2) the establishment of dialogue and consultation mechanisms (including the private sector) and (3) the dissemination of learning experiences will support the achievement of the goals of the national Green Economy Strategy and the NDC as well as the facilitation of the green economy/ NDC related experiences exchange with the neighboring CA countries.
The project reduces climate and environmental impacts by creating a policy framework for implementing the Green Economy Strategy and increasing energy and resource efficiency in the industrial sector. This can increase innovation, employment and competitiveness.
Duty station: Astana, Kazakhstan
Application Deadline: 05.02.2019
- supporting the project management in designing the project approach and especially the policy impact assessment component of the project;
- ensuring cooperation with and sustainable capacity development for Kazakhstani partners in the sphere of policy impact assessment and macro-economic modelling;
- advising on shaping the overall technical and capacity development approach of the project in Kazakhstan;
- implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to policy impact assessment for Green Economy transition and NDC implementation;
- coordinates multi-stakeholder dialogue processes on GE and NDC implementation, in cooperation with the GIZ Technical Energy Efficiency Expert;
- conducting impact monitoring, reporting and control of sub-contractors;
- approving and controlling expenses for project activities in accordance with the prevailing provisions;
- setting up a process monitoring for the piloting, with respective documentation of learning loops on policy impact assessment and multi-stakeholder dialogues;
- preparation and documentation of learning processes linked to opportunities and barriers of Green Economy policy and NDC implementation in Kazakhstan;
- enabling a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts at different levels (private enterprises, public associations, State agencies, academic institutions, non-governmental organizations) and GIZ;
- providing technical assistance to local and international experts.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- relevant University degree in Economics, Politics, Engineering, Environmental, Social or natural sciences, or similar;
- at least 5 years of work experience, related to aspects of macro-economic planning and development, Green Economy/NDC implementation, climate policy, Politics, or similar
- excellent knowledge of the EE topic in general and current trends in Kazakhstan and in Central Asia;
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office and specific software for macroeconomic modelling, etc.);
- strong managerial and organizational competence;
- high motivation and an ability to work independently and in coordination with interdisciplinary teams and meet tight deadlines without compromising the quality of outputs;
- good monitoring, reporting and communication skills;
- a keen interest in supporting complex, transformational processes for Green Economy and NDC implementation;
- intercultural skills, interest, working in an international environment;
- willingness and ability to travel (abroad) regularly;
- excellent written and spoken German or English as well as excellent Russian skills; knowledge of Kazakh is an asset.
- Full time;
- Stable salary;
- Good opportunity for personal and professional development.